CanKids...KidsCan is a registered charitable National Society, reflected in its 12A and 80G status under associated laws, dedicated to Change for Childhood Cancer in India. In 2015 Cankids received its FCRA certification after successfully completing 3 years as an Independent National Society.
CanKids is a grass root level organization of over 1000 people (volunteers and employees) and is the only not for profit in India that works on all aspects to enable best standards of treatment care and support services for children with cancer (age 0-21) and their families from moment of diagnosis through treatment and after into survivorship on the one hand and palliative care, terminal and bereavement support on the other.
The Cankids model for Change for Childhood Cancer in India with a vision to enable global survival rates of 70-95% survival rates and ensure highest quality of life for child cancer patients, families and survivors. The model for holistic support to families of children with cancer under its signature YANA – You are not Alone program is delivered through Cankids Hospital Support Units(CHSUs) and Cankids Care Centers (CCCs), at hospitals where children and being treated for cancer. Cankids also enables better standards of treatment and care by partnering with Cancer centers, assessing needs and filling gaps on an ongoing basis, through funding support, providing social support staff, enhancing capacities and driving quality care, research and impact assessment. Through stakeholder engagement and advocacy it aims to ensure that Childhood Cancer is a child health priority in India. As on Jan 2016, Cankids, headquartered in New Delhi, has 46 Cankids Hospital Support Units (CHSUs) in 38 hospitals in 18 cities and 14 States in India, 4 Home Away from Home (HAHs), 1 and only Canshala special school for children with cancer in Mumbai in a PPP with BMC, the flagship Pediatric Palliative Care Day Care and Transition Home in New Delhi and 4 Regional Care Coordination Centers in the 4 metro cities. It has registered and supported over 25000 families of children with cancer under its YANA program of holistic care and support.
Cankids was set up in January 2004 in Delhi under the umbrella of Indian Cancer Society and, in June 2012, registered as a separate National Society. It is a member of CCI (Childhood Cancer International formerly known as ICCCPO) , which is affiliated to SIOP (International Society of Pediatric Oncology).
· Providing best possible treatment and care; building bridges between medical professionals and families; sharing information and experience; accessing advances in treatment from around the world
· Providing and Facilitating economic support so that as few children as possible suffer for lack of money
· Providing emotional and psychological support from diagnosis, through treatment and beyond, including providing cheerful environments at treatment centers
· Providing informal education to keep children in the habit of learning though treatment and beyond
· Ensuring continuity of care as appropriate through relapse, palliation or bereavement and loss
To Know more, click here